Hello colorers! Today we present you lovely and extremely talented Sofia, she’ll reveal you more about herself:
Q:We’re glad to meet you, can you tell us a little something about yourself?
A : My complete name is Sofia Pilar, I’m 27 years old; I was born in Argentina but am currently living in Spain. I have a bachelor in business administration by Staffordshire University, currently working from home as an administration and sell assistant. I have many hobbies and among them my favorites are: drawing, reading, knitting (making amigurumis) and working with leather.
Q: How did you start to color? When did this attraction begin?
A: Ever since we were kids, our parents always taught us drawing and coloring, I remember as a kid my mother was painting and me and my brothers were nearby drawing; therefore, art has been present in all my life somehow. But this particular style of drawing (mandalas and zentangle art) I’ve discovered recently, around one year ago and I started to develop it.
Q:Do you use coloring as a small getaway from the real world?
A : Drawing and coloring are just extremely relaxing for me, I love to spend some time drawing when I finished with the work, and especially before going to sleep, (I really cannot go to sleep without drawing for a little while).
Q:Is coloring time consuming? How often do you color on a weekly basis?
A : I like to draw every day for one or two hours, there are some days that I have more time, but it all depends on how much work I have for the day. The days I don’t draw it can be because I have too much work or when I finish a piece and I have no clue what to draw next.
Q:How do you prepare before coloring? Any special preps?
A: While drawing I like to listen to music, watch some videos or a movie in English, French or Italian to practice some language while drawing. I also like to have something to drink on my desk during spring and summer I like to have a bottle of water and autumn and winter some hot tea.
Q:What are your favorite supplies for coloring? Do you always use the same or you like to experiment with it?
– For the first color mandalas I made ([easyazon_link identifier=”B01HAREUK6″ locale=”US” tag=”color-planer-20″]Paper mate[/easyazon_link], [easyazon_link identifier=”B00VY9U9W0″ locale=”US” tag=”color-planer-20″]Staedtler[/easyazon_link], [easyazon_link identifier=”B00KGC666E” locale=”US” tag=”color-planer-20″]Maped[/easyazon_link], [easyazon_link identifier=”B01KX7BULW” locale=”US” nf=”y” tag=”color-planer-20″]Muji Bic[/easyazon_link], JMJ Color Diamond).
– For the Alphabet, I have used all this different brands ([easyazon_link identifier=”B01HAREUK6″ locale=”US” nf=”y” tag=”color-planer-20″]Paper mate[/easyazon_link], [easyazon_link identifier=”B00VY9U9W0″ locale=”US” nf=”y” tag=”color-planer-20″]Staedtler[/easyazon_link], [easyazon_link identifier=”B00IXQQ624″ locale=”US” nf=”y” tag=”color-planer-20″]Maped[/easyazon_link], [easyazon_link identifier=”B01KX7BULW” locale=”US” nf=”y” tag=”color-planer-20″]Muji Bic[/easyazon_link], JMJ Color Diamond) & [easyazon_link identifier=”B000EWYCX0″ locale=”US” nf=”y” tag=”color-planer-20″](Faber-Castell[/easyazon_link], [easyazon_link identifier=”B008DCGELQ” locale=”US” nf=”y” tag=”color-planer-20″]Alpino[/easyazon_link], ErichKrause & Marco pencils)
– I have seen different artist love ([easyazon_link identifier=”B00UHUKKHQ” locale=”US” nf=”y” tag=”color-planer-20″]Sharpis[/easyazon_link]), so I bought them to experiment a little but I don’t have the hang of them just yet.
– I really need to improve my watercolor technique ([easyazon_link identifier=”B01GWWY690″ locale=”US” nf=”y” tag=”color-planer-20″]Bianyo[/easyazon_link] watercolor paint).
– For the collection of insects and animals in which I’m currently working on, my favorite art supplies are ([easyazon_link identifier=”B01EGB2FKQ” locale=”US” nf=”y” tag=”color-planer-20″]Sakura gel glitter gold, silver pens / white gel pens[/easyazon_link] for correcting the mistakes & finally also from [easyazon_link identifier=”B01FWIE032″ locale=”US” nf=”y” tag=”color-planer-20″]Sakura PIGMA MICRON[/easyazon_link] specially nº 005, 01 & 02 for the details 03, 04 & 05 for coloring the background).
Q:Do you have special techniques and color mixes that you’d like to share with us?
Any tips and tricks?
A : I’m really not an expert, I just keep adding different shades of color until I’m happy with the result (usually grading from light to dark), and for blending the colors I use another piece of paper or a dry soft brush.
Q: Do you have a specific “signature” in your art?
A: I’m trying to develop my mark, it has been appearing in the last three pieces that I have recently finished, especially in the sea turtle; it’s a Wheat spike that I plan to use in the four corners of all my drawings.
Q: Which books and patterns you find most enjoyable to color?
A : For coloring, I prefer mandalas and nature (animals, plants and everything related to nature), and for drawing I prefer white sheets, I have never tried to draw in black sheet, but is something that I will try in the future.
Q:Do you have a favorite author? How did he/she earn your admirations?
A: I really like Johanna Basford & [easyazon_link identifier=”1454709928″ locale=”US” nf=”y” tag=”color-planer-20″]Millie Marotta[/easyazon_link]’s, they are the two authors that I discovered first, then I started to investigate and discovered a new art world of mandalas and Zentangle. In Instagram, I follow all the account of mandalas, zentangle art, photography (insects, animals, nature) from which I can find inspiration for the drawings, like yours.
Q: And last but not least, where can we find your artwork?
A : At the moment my artworks can be found in Instagram “ _sofia.pilar_ ”, I’m planning to make a website and a community in the future but I’m waiting to gather more pieces of art; I would love to make a coloring book but will see in the future if it’s possible, I will keep my Instagram followers informed about every development about this topic.
I am really honored for this interview opportunity that you have given me as well as all your help and support, this means the world to me and I just hope I can inspire people with my artwork, thank you for everything
If you have more questions for Sofia, please leave them in a comment section. Do you want a guest specialized in a certain field? Write it! Stay tuned and happy coloring! 🙂